Posted by Jennifer Hojnacki, Wed, May 2, 2012
Whether you’re just getting started or have been raising chickens for a while, chances are you spend a fair amount of time thinking about the end product—those delicious and nutritious eggs!
Manna Pro® spends a lot of time thinking about laying hens, and we’ve put together a great new guide to help you get the most out of your flock.
One of the most common questions on forums, in webinars and on our “Ask the Chicken Whisperer” page is, “What are the best laying breeds?” While there’s no absolute answer to this question, we’ve compared some of the expert opinions and owner comments and here are the names that seem to be at the top of everyone’s list:
Top 5 (more or less) Breeds for Egg Laying
- Leghorn. No surprise here—the breed that is used the most commercially because of its laying proficiency is in fact the best layer. Keep in mind, however, that if you want a colorful egg basket, you won’t want a flock full of only Leghorns, as their eggs are white.
- Rhode Island Red. A great choice because they are not only great egg layers, but the males are big enough to eat as meat (helpful if you incubate and hatch, as you can raise the females as layers and the males as meat birds).
- Orpington. Also dual-purpose and known for laying abundant amounts of brown eggs.
- Australorp. Excellent egg layers that produce beautiful light brown eggs.
- It’s a tie for 5th. Honorable mentions go to these egg-laying breeds: Ameraucana, Delaware, Sussex and Wyandotte.
For information on egg production, egg color, temperament and more for 30 top breeds, be sure to download the Manna Pro Chicken Chart, a helpful and easy-to-use guide to selecting the right breeds for your flock. Another resource we love is mypetchicken.com’s Breed Selector Tool. You answer six easy questions about what’s important to you, and it spits out a list of breeds that match your criteria. Click on individual breeds from your list to see a complete profile and learn more.
Post a Comment
We welcome your participation! Please note that while lively discussion and strong opinions are encouraged, Manna Pro reserves the right to delete comments that it deems inappropriate for any reason. Comments are moderated and publication times may vary.